Pages

6.20.2012

Hawaiian Haystacks with a Twist

Whip it up Wednesday...
A couple of weeks ago my husband was whipping up dinner and really it was just more of a throw it all together type of meal but it was such a hit with all of us that we couldn't wait to make it again.  It has for sure become one of our family favorites.  In fact my son declared this is what he wants for his birthday meal. Ok I'm good with that!  So what we ultimately had was Hawaiian Haystacks with a twist.
My family has been working on eating more of a plant based diet so we've had to get creative especially to keep kids happy at the dinner table.


This meal is really so easy!  Rice - Veggies - Beans - and what ever toppings you want


First get your rice cooking - we like brown rice
While that is cooking start your chopping and if you have helpers get them going too!

Get all of your favorite vegetables or toppings ready
This time we had cheese, tomatoes, green onions, pineapple, celery, carrots, yellow and orange peppers


The sauce 
Heat up the beans with juice - don't drain (we used Great Northern).  While they are warming, add 1 to 1 1/2 Tbs Bragg Liquid Aminos and 1 Tbs chicken bullion.  Just mix and heat until warm. If you don't have liquid aminos you can use soy sauce they taste similar.
 Now you're ready to assemble however you like!!!
See easy, yum, filling oh and don't forget totally healthy!
Okay total side note after I took this picture and sat down to eat it I was so sad when I realized that I totally forgot the avocado...I mean who does that?  I should have just hurried and cut one but I didn't.  Don't worry the next night when this was leftovers I totally made the full effort and cut the avocado.


Here's the full recipe kind of not much too it


Enough cooked rice for your family
Veggies, cheese and whatever other toppings chopped how you like
Mix and heat next three ingredients
2 cans Great Northern beans
1Tbs chicken bullion
1 - 1 1/2 Tbs liquid aminos


Layer / assemble to your desire.


I hope you try this it really is great! If you do let me know how it goes.


Thanks --Naoni

No comments:

Post a Comment